fall

Voting

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Fuzzy Semblance

I got to see Jerry today.

What a guy.

He is back to his usual self. I am doing "outstanding". Blood counts are good -- still abit of anemia, but nothing bad enough to treat.

I was in a quandary. Because there are a number of people, objective ones among the group, who tell me my hair is starting to grow. So here's the quandary: If I AM receiving Taxol (chemo), and a side effect of Taxol is total hair loss, how is it that my hair is GROWING? Am I really receiving Taxol? And if I am, can it be working against the cancer cells correctly if it is allowing my hair to begin to grow? I am sure you can understand my confusion.

I asked Jerry. "How is it that my hair can be growing while I am on Taxol?" His answer? As he peers over his glasses and looks closely at my scalp, he responds "well, it is not uncommon for a semblance of hair to appear while on Taxol. What you really have there is fuzz".

Semblance?

Fuzz?

Perhaps Jerry should now be known as a "joy robber". I will add that Don joined right in with Jerry and agreed. "That's what we have at our house...'semblance of hair'".

Not that I was exactly joyous over the possible beginnings of hair growth, but it would be an encouraging sign, don't you think? A sign that I am, indeed, nearing the end of chemotherapy and preparing for the next phase of my cancer treatment.

The sad part is that I had to text my sisters Linda and Janette and relay to them that my "fuzz" is but a "semblance" of hair. And that they'll need to keep buzzing their heads. And that we've got a long way to go.

I am not sure they had a clear understanding of the words "we'll shave our heads and stay bald until your hair grows back".

I think they're starting to get it now.

I was wrong to let them get their hopes up that my hair was coming back already.

Because it is just a semblance.

Fuzz.

No comments:

Post a Comment