fall

Voting

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Powerful Nuts

Today was the day to see my radiation oncologist.  

Dr. Alice Wang.

But first, Susie the nurse takes me to the exam room.  Susie is a sweet spirit, with a wonderful countenance.  She is a smiler.

"List of medications, please."  

"Side effects from any of the medications?"  Well, yes, actually, there are.  And they are not pleasant.  "Diarrhea?"  Yep.  "Taking anything for that?"  Nope.  "Why?"  Because, Nurse Susie, I take too many things already.  Too many.  And I am tired.  And what is a side effect here and there?

"Why did you switch off of arimidex?"  Severe joint pain.  "Did you take anything for the joint pain?  Ibuprofen?"  "NO?"  

I interpreted the "NO?" to really mean "are you nuts?"

Honestly, I hadn't even thought to take something for the joint pain.

"Do you just power through the stiffness and pain?"  Pretty much.  

"You need to ask Dr. Wang about taking ibuprofen.  You need relief."  Well, yes, I do.  And I will.

Dr. Wang comes.  

She remembers me.  Good news.

She is very thorough in her examination.  She asks me to show her the range of motion I have in my arms.

I don't have range of motion in my right arm.  In fact, I cannot lift it up over my head.  Which explains why it is so difficult to undress.  So now I am to be referred to physical therapy.

Dr. Wang measures both arms -- around the upper arm, around the lower arm.  The length from my elbow to my mid arm.  And then she compares the measurements from each arm.  If they are not symmetrical, it could be an early sign of lymphedma.  That would not be good.  The measurements are symmetrical.

Dr. Wang says I should be able to take ibuprofen, but should first ok it through the medical trial gurus.  Medical trials complicate everything.  So, when I see Jerry on Friday, I will check on the ibuprofen question.

Until then, I will continue to power through.

And I am not nuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment