fall

Voting

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Check-In

Tonight I attended my first breast cancer support group.  

There were six other women there.  Two of us were new.  "First-timers".

What is shared in group stays in group. 

Ok.

That is fair.  Safe.

But it was good to hear the other women's stories during 'check-in' time.  

And to share mine.

Each of the stories brought questions to my mind. 

The biggest question?

Will I need to come to a support group five years out?  

Ten?

No, I tell myself.  

NO.

I won't 'need' to come.

I won't 'need' to come because I will be done with this cancer stuff soon.  

Done.

I won't 'need' to come because I will have moved on, away from cancer.  

Away from terror.  

Away from fear.  

Far.  

Away.

But maybe I'll 'want' to come.

Perhaps the women who still come years after their diagnosis are not there because they 'need' to be.

Perhaps they were there for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment