fall

Voting

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Mom and Dad and the Good Lord Above

I know that I have posted many things about hair.

One might think I am obsessed with it.

I am not.

But some things that happen along this cancer trail just beg to be documented.

Last week, I was showing an apartment that is for rent. One of the women looking at the apartment said "I LOVE your haircut!"

"Thank you."

"Is your hair naturally curly?"

"Yes."

That was the word that came out of my mouth.

The words knocking around in my head were much more sarcastic.

"With hair this short, how on earth would I curl it?"

But I didn't let those words out.

When I saw Jerry last week, he commented on my hair growth. (Apparently, I am past the "semblance of fuzz".)

I relayed to him part of the "is it naturally curly?" conversation.

Jerry's response?

"It's the chemo."

Why thank you, Jerry. It is the chemo. But it is also ME.

Because I have/had curly hair.

So now, if I'm asked if my hair is naturally curly, I will be torn.

Shall I say "yes, it is natural"?

Or "no, it is drug induced"?

I am willing to allow the chemo to take credit for the white hair.

But I am not sure I am willing to let chemo have credit for the curls. I think Mom and Dad and the good Lord above should get credit for that.

So, if asked again about the curls, I will smile and say "yes, it IS natural".

Thank you.


1 comment: