fall

Voting

Thursday, June 18, 2009

My, How They Love Cameras

Yesterday was the trial run on radiation.

I started things off wrong.

Who would know that they want the gown on with the opening in the back? My goodness, one would think (I think) that the opening would need to be in the front if one's breast was going to be radiated.

But, no. Opening in the back. So I take off the gown and turn it around. The technicians (two women this time) hold up a robe in front of me for "privacy". This action makes me chuckle to myself. Modesty? Really? I do appreciate their care - so thoughtful and sweet.

The 'treatment room' is so high tech it makes me think I am in a movie. Laser beams shooting out of the walls and ceiling. The lasers are used to line me up according to my tattoos. Pretty darn amazing.

As I lay there with my arms above my head, I have an itch.

On my collar bone.

And it is a pretty intense itch..."can I move my arms?"

"NO! We need you to stay still."

"But my collar bone..."

The kindness comes again. The technician comes over and itches my collar bone for me. And she is good at it! Follows my directions quickly and precisely. "up just a bit. over towards my chin. yes yes you got it. Thank you!"

Before Dr. Wang came in to check and make sure all was well, the markers come out again. One more large circle on my chest and onto my back. Something makes me think that perhaps these technicians are the ones who only wanted to draw in kindergarten...Reminds of me of Miss Rachel who would (and did) draw on everything and anything (sheets, Camille's lamp, walls, etc. etc. etc.)

Then the camera came out.

Again.

I had to wonder, just how many photos of my breast does one radiation center need to have? More than they do currently, it seems.

I ask "what do you need the photos for?"

Chuckle. (The chuckle only made me more wary...) Dr. Wang responds "the photos only go in your treatment chart. They aren't used for anything else". Good. Good.

Then one of the technicians says "we don't take any photos of your face, so no one who ever sees these would know it is you..."

Ok, then. I feel much better.

Not really.

So the test run begins.

And it is all well and good. Because all went well, I get the first treatment.

Done!

Dr. Wang has changed the treatment plan, according to the technicians. Only 30 treatments instead of 33. Higher dose of radiation, so fewer treatments. Not going to argue with that!

I will report at 3:00 p.m. every day, Monday-Friday, for the next six weeks.

And get my picture taken every week or so.

I may be completely camera shy by the time I'm done.

No comments:

Post a Comment