fall

Voting

Friday, May 8, 2009

Stop Talking Already

Disneyland.

The Happiest Place on Earth.

I was riding as a single rider on Toy Story - the arcade ride/game. As soon as I got in the "car" and sat down, I took off my hat. Whew. It was hot and sunny out, so my head was hot and sweaty. The woman I was sitting with immediately asked me if I had cancer.

"Yes."

"Breast cancer?"

"Yes."

"I am a three year survivor!"

Turns out her cancer was later stage, but the same type as I have. She was so happy that I was in Disneyland..."I came here in mid-treatment, too! But my husband had to push me around in a wheelchair".

She asked about my treatment, and this is where I gave too much information. Too much scary information.

I told her about the clinical trial with lapatinib. I told her about the HER-2 neu cancer going to the brain. I told her herceptin doesn't cross into the brain.

I told too much.

Because she was obviously shaken.

Because she didn't know about the brain connection.

Because she didn't want to be scared by cancer again. I could tell.

Too late.

As I walked away and lost sight of her in the crowd, and ever since, I have felt terrible. Here this woman reached out to encourage me, and I frightened her.

Shut up, Drenda.

Close your mouth.

Stop talking already.

No comments:

Post a Comment