fall

Voting

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Endowed Ear-Rings

Today was treatment day. I have now finished 8 of the 12 Taxol/Herceptin treatments. Yeah!

Before we went to see Jerry and have the poison, Don took me to Kohl's so I could do a little shopping. One unwelcome side effect of chemo (aren't they all unwelcome? Yes.) is weight gain. I do not have many casual clothes that fit me right now. The problem comes with planning a trip to Southern California to celebrate Anna's graduation from Azusa Pacific University. A Mom needs decent clothes to go on vacation.

So shopping.

A successful trip!

I managed to find capris that fit and were actually comfortable. And two cute tops. All in less than an hour. I was feeling good. And looking good -- make-up on, ear-rings in, hair growing, ready to face cancer killing. I was on a roll.

Until.

Until I went out to the car to wait for Don.

It was a beautiful morning. Sunny, warm, gorgeous. I was standing there holding my shopping bag. I watched as a woman that I had seen shopping near me through-out the women's department came out of the store. She walked in my direction, and as she neared, I smiled.

Too soon.

Because, as she approached me, her words were shocking.

"Good thing you're wearing ear-rings."

I apparently didn't comprehend her words initially. I chuckled.

Then, to myself, "WHAT DID THAT WOMAN JUST SAY TO ME?" "OH MY GOODNESS!".

Shocking.

Now, I do realize that I am bald.

And I do realize that I am not "overly-endowed" -- but there is endowment.

I have never rested my understanding of my femininity on my hair. And the rest of my body is the same.

Well, not exactly the same.

But pretty close.

Just a bit lop-sided...

But ear-rings?

Seriously?

1 comment:

  1. I posted my comment on Rachel's facebook, but there's more where that came from.

    You said you smiled at her. I find it dazzling these days when a stranger smiles at me. That's the kind of world I want to live in...

    ReplyDelete