fall

Voting

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Psycho vs Physical

Which comfort is more important?

I have discovered that, for me, it is definitely physical. I am willing to be bald in public because the physical discomfort of a wig and sometimes of a hat is too much for me. Not that I couldn't bear the discomfort. But the question has become, for me, "why should I bear the discomfort?"

It is becoming, really, ALL about me.

Pride? No. In fact, I hear often, now, how beautiful my head is. "So round!" "Not knobby!" "No bumps!" (And what if there were knobs and bumps? What then?)

Other people's obvious discomfort being in a room with baldy me? Sometimes.

The discomfort of others has been the most difficult. But I am slowly helping people I live with, work with, play with, come to terms with my baldness. Men are finding that they don't have to look at the floor or the walls when they come into my office to talk to me and find me at my desk without a hat. They can still look at my eyes and I don't melt! And neither do they! Amazing. School teachers are done with their second glances. Almost normal.

So, the usual decision point is temperature. If my head is cold, I wear a hat. If my head is hot, I don't wear a hat. I want physical comfort.

But this process, in retrospect, is fascinating to me. I realize how much we all bear sometimes very difficult physical discomforts in order to "fit in". Me too, still, in many ways. There is freedom in deciding it is all about me.

Selfish? Perhaps.

But that's o.k.

Because I am worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment