fall

Voting

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Perfect and Fat: That's Me!

A note I must write.

During my time today with Dr. Segal, (or Jerry, as he is now known to me), he was quite in awe of me.

Awe.

Of me.

Because, it seems, I am "the perfect patient".

You may now be shaking your head and asking "why is that?" My reaction, too! And, why am I the perfect patient? Because I "am well educated" and "ask questions about things" that he, Jerry, forgets to tell me.

Now, lest my pride swell at the wonderful label of "perfect", Don did point out that Jerry also called me fat. Well, not a quote exactly. In response to my question about one of the long term side effects of chemo causing loss in bone density, Jerry's response was "well, for someone like you who is a, hmmm, bit overweight (picture here a small nervous smile from him)...." and then "bigger women tend to have better bones than smaller women"....That is a positive, right?

Despite what it may appear to you, the reader, I do not usually keep a tally of compliments. However, the ones that have come my way during cancer treatment are too precious to let go. Let's see -- I use big words ("cumulative"), I have "amazing bone marrow", I am "so impressive" (because I continued to work through the four nasty, vile, A&C chemo treatments), and now, drum roll please,...I am "THE PERFECT PATIENT"!

But, I also lead the research nurse for the clinical trial to believe that Jerry is "in collusion" with me (because I had planned to refuse the trial if I didn't get into the part I wanted), and I am, "hmmm, a bit overweight". Ok. I am fat.

But I get good bones!

No comments:

Post a Comment