fall

Voting

Friday, December 19, 2008

Chemo Therapy #1 December 18, 2008

Yesterday was the first chemo treatment. Don and I were on our way to the appointment just before 9, when Don's phone rang. It was Ellie saying that school was closing, and we needed to pick her up! So, Don dropped me off at the Dr. ofice and turned around to get Ellie and take her home. Then her came back to be with me. By the time he arrived, everything was under way.

First stop is vitals -- weight (even lost a bit since the day before -- cancer is an odd way, and awful way, to lose that unwatned weight). Blood pressure and temp next - BE CAREFUL, Miss Vitals Taker -- no blood pressure to be taken on the right side where the lymph node was removed. (I have to remind every time).

Then upstairs to the "Infusion Room". I chose recliners near a window so that I could watch the beautiful snow, turned on the hot pad (supposed to use for warming arm viens for IVs, but in my case, I used it as a wodnerful neck and upper back warming and relaxiation pad). Wonderful! I asked for a hot blanket, and then I was set. I had my "Chemo Bag" with me. My sister Becky brought me the tote bag filled with goodies. A notebook that is titled "Drenda is Strong and Courageous" and filled with encouraging notes from family and friends, as well as lots of Christmas memories that my family wrote to each other a few years ago. I had magazines and suduko puzzles in the bag, too.

So, for the acutal treatment. The nurse numbed the area over the port with "freezing spray" that was very very cold. Numb. Then for the needle into the port. Not bad, except she had to press really hard to make sure it was all the way in because of the amount of swelling I have over the incicision. That wasn't the most fun.
Saline injected to clear the line, and then the meds and IV fluids start. First was one of the two anti-nausea durgs. I don't remember the order of the others, except that when it was time for the adriamyican, the nurse had to sit with me and push it in slowly. Three large vials. RED. I am recieving very close to the maximum life-time allowed dose of this drug. I can NEVER have it again. It harms the heart. I also received cytoxan, another cancer killer, and then another anit-nausea drug. All this along with fluids to make sure I stay hydrated and that the poisons don't stay in my body any longer than necessary.

Beginning to end, my visit lasted about 4 hours. Less than I had been told to anticipate.
I have been taking two more anti-neasue drugs regularly upon arriving home in hopes that the bad reactions can be held off. The weird part was that yesterday afternoon, I could literally feel each organ being attacked as the medicine/poison moved its way throguh my body.

After treament, we raced to Costoc and made a huge purchase of food to stock up freexer and pantry, and even managed to get a few Christmas presents checked off the list.

Don's sister Janis brought dinner for us. That was so sweet of her -- and a surprise for us, and it tasted very good. I risked eating because i was SO hungry.. So far,so good.

Ok, there you have it - the blow-blow account of my first Chemotherapy. I return today to receive more IV fluids and an injection of neulasta. Neulasta is the drug that spurs the bone marrow to produce more white blood cells so that the chemo can be administered every two weeks instead of every three weeks.

On another note, if you're missing these updates and want to receive them, I think you can subscribe -- but I am not sure how to do that. You are all probably much more facebook savvy than I....

No comments:

Post a Comment