fall

Voting

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Breast Cancer, Part II

I am home from the hospital!

Yesterday's MRI apparently showed my left breast is a.o.k. whew. This morning, a phone call from the hospital to come earlier than planned so that they could do more stuff to me. So I got through the insertion of two "guide" wires into my breast - not fun, but hey, who cares. The wires were to help guide the surgeon, one wire at the front of the cancer, one wire at the back. The wires were about 7 inches long sticking out of my breast. Blue dye inserted into the cancer to stain the tissue. Radioactive something injected to find the sentinel lymph-node. a bit early to surgery (amazing -- and a wonderful thing). Making the anesthesiologist (sp?) stop in the hallway as he wheeled me to surgery..."I didn't get to say goodbye to Ellie, just Rachel. Get Ellie". So the Dr. left me in the hall, went back to the waiting room -- "she wants to see Ellie". Ellie came to the hall, and I can't remember what I said! Hopefully, I told her I loved her.

In the recovery room after surgery, I was ECSTATIC to hear that two pathologists and the surgeon believe the entire cancer was removed, and the lymph-node was negative for cancer. PRAISE GOD. That is the prelim report, final pathology report due on Friday. If they do find more cancer cells (not uncommon), I will probably have a mastectomy at that point (if I understand what Don told me correctly). And let me add just a quick note about my most wonderful husband. Don has been a rock for me. He has been my helpmate and my best friend. I love you, Donald Kent Howatt!

The outcome of the surgery is the best possible, as far as we know without the final pathology report. I am so thankful. so thankful.

Thank you, each one of you, who have offered such tremendous encouragement and support over these last few days. Just a few days, but also a lifetime. The journey is not over, but I do believe a major step is behind me.

Hug your family tonight and tell each one how much you love them.
Drenda

No comments:

Post a Comment