fall

Voting

Saturday, December 13, 2008

~One More Surgery Down~

Yesterday, I dutifully reported to Providence Portland Medical Center at 6 a.m. for my 9 a.m. surgery to insert the port into my chest. Three hours is a long time...
Due to complications in the surgery prior to mine, my surgery was delayed until about 10:30. Long time waiting. Valium helps tremendously, I've learned.

General anesthetic again. Surgery was successful, and after waking up in the recovery room, I waited an hour and a half for "transport" to take me back to the post-op area of day surgery. Fine for me, but I was worried about Don, worried that he'd be worried. hmmm. too much worrying, perhaps. But then I'd doze off again.

Long story short, I was home by about 2:30 and went back to bed. Nice to be groggy and get to sleep. The pain from this surgery was significantly more than from the lumpectomy, but still not so bad. I am sore in my arm and shoulder muscles, and the surgery site is tender. Advil is all I am taking now.

The big news is that I am getting my hair cut today. And I mean CUT. Not bald, but shorter than I have ever had it in recent and not so recent memory. According to the calendar, I should be going bald on Christmas day or the day after, so I am taking the first step this afternoon. I may allow Miss Rachel to document the day, so stay tuned for the first photos!

Thank you, all, for your notes and words of encouragement. They help me weather this storm. I am trying to take one day at a time and not think or worry about "tomorrow". That is difficult, Very difficult. I go back to God's instruction to Joshua "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. DO NOT BE TERRIFIED. DO NOT BE DISCOURAGED. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go."

Terrified is often a good word to describe my state of mind. But I know God and I know God's Son. Knowing them is different than knowing about them. I know I will be carried through this. I know God is at work in my life. I trust Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment