fall

Voting

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Another Cancer Update ~ If You're Interested ~

Ok, so two oncologists and one entire day --Radiation Oncologist seen first -- radiation will be AFTER chemo. great
Medical Oncologist, Dr. Segal, seen next - 2 1/2 hour appointment, 1 1/2 hours of which is with the oncologist. Too much information.

My cancer is stage 1 grade 3. Hormone receptor strongly positive for estrogen and progesterone. The pre-surgical MRI of my breasts showed a benign very little something in one lymph node (new news) on the right side. HER2-neu positive (new info). Her2-neu positive is the most aggressive type of breast
cancer. This type of cancer apparently can travel to the brain. The Dr. doesn't think my cancer has gone there, but I will have an MRI of my brain to be certain.

I will have a port inserted surgically (probably next week) for the administration of the chemotherapy. On Friday (12-5) I have the brain MRI, a CT scan of my body, and an echocardigram of my heart. I see Dr. Segal again on Wednesday 12-17 and anticipate the chemo beginning the next day.

The first round of chemo consists of two different drugs administered every 2 weeks for a total of 4 treatments. The side effects of this first regiment is total hair loss and vomiting/nausea. Then, I'll have Taxol administered every week for 12 weeks. Along with this, I'll have herceptin which is a drug
specfically to target the HER 2-neu issue. Dr. Segal has asked me to consider being part of a trial to try a new drug Tykerb either instead of or in conjunction with Herceptin. The possible advantage to Tykerb is that it does pass the blood/brain barrier and would attack any cancer cells in the brain.
Herceptin does not go into the brain. Herceptin would be injected regularly (weekly? can't remember what he said) for one year. So I have a decision to make -- and soon. There is a 24 page consent form that I have to sign if I agree to the trial.

After the chemo regiment, I'll have 33 radiation treatments -- every day M-F for 6.5 weeks. The first 28
radiation treatments are to the entire breast area, and the last five are a "boost" to the tumor bed. Either in conjunction with the radiation or after it is concluded, I'll begin taking Tamoxifen for
hormone therapy (suppression). That will continue for 2-3 years, and then I'll switch to a different drug for more years.

Too much information.

Oh, and Dr. Segal thought I was quite intelligent because I used the word "cumulative" in a sentence..."I've NEVER had a patient who has used that word!" My response: "that concerns me..."

No comments:

Post a Comment