fall

Voting

Monday, May 18, 2009

Six Months

Six months.

One half of a year.

Six short months.

A lifetime.

And yet, just a few short weeks, really.

In some ways, I have come so far.

In other ways, I have not progressed at all.

Some days, it is two steps forward, one (or three) steps backward. But I AM stepping. There is something to be said for that. I did not completely curl up in a ball and retreat. Not completely.

I just read my cousin Hollace's blog. One entry entitled "Good words are good things". She stresses that we should focus on the positive, on the good, and not be weighed down by the negative. 

So, I will list the good of the past six months, the things and people I am eternally grateful for:

I have been overwhelmed.

Overwhelmed with love.

Support.

Care.

Prayers.

Concern.

My God. I call Him "my" God because He is known to me. Not because I have "my" God and you have "yours". There is only One. And it is He.

My husband. He is amazing. Cancer has only proven, again, what a great and wonderful man he is. 

My family.

My friends.

My church family. 

My work friends.

Acquaintances that follow my journey through my blog, on facebook, or through others.

Fellow cancer survivors, some complete strangers, who speak words of encouragement just because they remember.

The Palm Spring Girl Friends. None of whom I have ever met.

Jerry.

So, there is a common thread through most of the good. 

That thread is people. 

People who take time to put action to their care and concern. Action of calling. Sending a card. Praying for me. Crying with me. Lifting me up. Encouraging me. Cheering me on. Propping me up when I am collapsing. Cooking dinners for my freezer. Leaving a comment or short message on facebook. 

This is not a journey I would ever want to take alone. O.k....it is not a journey I would ever want to take at all.

But I didn't get to choose, and I am on the journey. And so very thankful that I am accompanied along the road by people who love me and care for me and have made the effort, some over and over, to make sure I remember that they are there.

Thank you. 

Because I hate being alone on road trips.

1 comment:

  1. I'm in the rumble seat. (In case you didn't know, that's the small extra seat that folds out at the back of an old car for luggage or servants or for added relatives on your road trip.)

    ReplyDelete