fall

Voting

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Oncologist Visit #2 (Not that I'm counting, or anything...)

Saw Dr. Segal this morning. Original appointment scheduled for 2:30 -- moved earlier due to the weather. Problem was that Don was working until noon, and then planning to come home and take me to the Dr. visit. Ended up that I slowly drove to the appointment by myself, and Don met me there when it was almost done.

First, blood work. Even though I now have the handy-dandy port, I declined to allow the lab tech to draw blood from it -- incision still very tender. So, bring out the heating pad, and heat up those arm veins! The lab tech (probably has a professional label, but I don't know what it is...) brought out a "port" to show me what is inside my chest. Very interesting. Metal backing so that the needle can't go too far in. Nice safety feature.

I was reassured when I saw Dr. Segal in the hall -- he addressed me by name and asked if I'd received the official insurance denial of the brain MRI. He knows me! smile. I am not just a number.

Dr. Segal spent considerable time, again, explaining things to me. First, reassurance about the brain/cancer link. No reason to believe I have any cancer in my brain (no jokes, please), but he thinks a baseline test is imperative for comparative purposes. He will follow-up with the insurance company. He also explained the process should cancer ever be found in my brain, and while the situation would be very serious, it would not be a death sentence. whew. Treatable with surgery and drugs, and brain radiation if needed.

Chemo treatment will begin tomorrow at 9 a.m., if weather permits. If not, and the office is closed, I have an appointment for Friday at 9 a.m. One thing I learned today is that, because I am having "dose-dense" treatment with treatments every two weeks instead of every three weeks, I have to go back the day after each chemo for an injection of "neulasta" (sp?). This is the drug that allows for the two week treatment schedule. That means if I have chemo on Friday, I'll have to go to Providence hospital on Saturday to get the injection of neulasta. Dr. Segal also is calling in prescriptions for me for two ro three anti-nausea drugs, plus a numbing cream I can put over the port area to help facilitate inserting the needle for chemo. Along with the chemo, they will administer a new anti-nausea drug that is supposed to last for three days. I will also see the Dr. 7 days after each chemo treatment to check my blood counts, etc. We're going to be great friends!

I had lots of questions -- "should I come to chemo with an empty stomach?" "No, eat a light breakfast". "If I do get sick, when would it hit?" "Probably that evening or the next day". "should I call you if I get sick?" "YES! We have a doctor on call 24 hours a day, and if you're having trouble, we'll take care of you -- get you on iv's, or whatever is needed. We will be aggressive and pro-active in combating nausea". whew.

Dr. Segal asked me again about the drug trial. Still not decided. Dr. Segal said there is no rush, I have 2-3 weeks before a decision is needed. We did talk about the trial more, and he is so convinced the new drug is of great benefit based on the research so far, and even his own patients' response to it. I am leaning toward participating.

Then, Dr. Segal took us upstairs to see the treatment room. Filled with leather recliners, and quite busy! It was as comfortable and welcoming looking as probably possible. But no wireless access. That means you all will be spared the detailed account of what is happening as it is happening.

So, I am almost ready to start the next step in this journey called breast cancer. Thank you for travelling alongside me, and propping me up when I collapse. I am feeling very loved and supported by my family and friends. A number of you have told me how strong you think I am. But, alas, I am not. It is the strength of my God upon which I am forced to rely. I am putting aside anxious thoughts and imaginations, and saying continually "the Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart has trusted in HIm and I am helped. He is not only with me but in me and I in Him."


Drenda

No comments:

Post a Comment